VS 2005 compilation error (App_Code.compiled)
Vik
2006-02-17 03:13:44 UTC

I have a web project in VS 2005. When I build it, everything works fine, but
when I try to publish it, it gives me an error

"Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local
Settings\Temp\~160c\bin\App_Code.compiled' is denied.

I have given everyone write permissions on the Temporary ASP.NET Files
folder. I'm still not able to publish the website.

Thanks,
Vik
Steven Cheng[MSFT]
2006-02-17 08:08:33 UTC
Hi Vik,

Welcome to the MSDN newsgroup.

From your description, when you try publishing an ASP.NET 2.0 website in
visual studio 2005, you're encountering access denied error to a certain
path. Based on the error info you provided, it seems the path is under the
current logon user's user specific storage(the user temp dir). Are you
publishing the website to a local file disk folder or to IIS virtual
directory? Anyway, since the error point to that folder, I think you can
try granting permission to that logonuser's temp dir (rather than the
ASP.NET temp dir).

In addition, for such access denied error, one common troubleshooting means
is use the filemon tool to monitor the file access failure occurs on a
server. This can help us find which account get denied on which file path
or resource.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
Vik
2006-02-20 00:05:53 UTC
Hi Steven,

Thanks for the information. I used the filemon tool to find out that VS 2005
was using the user (which the website was impersonating as) to create a
folder inside my temp folder. I had to give persmissions to that user on my
temp folder.

Cheers,
Vik
Post by Steven Cheng[MSFT]
Hi Vik,
Welcome to the MSDN newsgroup.
From your description, when you try publishing an ASP.NET 2.0 website in
rights.)
Steven Cheng[MSFT]
2006-02-20 01:52:32 UTC
Thanks for the response Vik,

Glad that it is of assistance. If there's anything else we can help, please
feel free to post here.